Pahadi Cuisine: Phaanu
Made with gahat or chana dal, this hearty lentils dish is a pahadi staple. Give this easy recipe a try and bring a taste of the mountains to your table.
- 1 cup split bengal gram (chana) or horse gram (gahat/kulath)
- ½ cup oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- ½ inch ginger
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tsp jakhiya/cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Soak the gahat/chana dal in water overnight.
- Next morning wash & rub the lentil in running water. Grind it with green chillies, garlic & ginger.
- Place a flat pan on moderate flame. Put some oil & make thick pancakes with half of the batter.
- Mix water with the remaining paste. Heat oil in a pan & add cumin/jakhiya and asafoetida. Now add the lentils paste, turmeric powder, coriander powder & salt.
- Cover & cook for about 10 minutes on low flame. Add lentil cakes to the gravy & let cook on simmer for another 10 minutes. Add more water if the consistency is too thick.
- Garnish with pure ghee & chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice.
Click here for another hearty lentils recipe from the mountains.