Pahadi Cuisine: Urad Dal Ke Pakode
Makes 2 to 3 servings
- 3/4 cup split black gram
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 1 handful of fresh coriander leaves
salt to taste
- Soak the lentils overnight. Drain out the water and grind the dal into a smooth paste.
- Add the chopped onions, coriander leaves, chilli powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt to the paste. Mix thoroughly.
- Apply some water or oil on your palms and then make small balls of the mixture.
- Put the sesame seeds on a shallow bowl and dip the dough balls in seeds and cover.
- In a wok/ kadhai, heat oil on medium flame and deep fry the pakodas.
- Transfer on a plate and serve hot with chutney or ketchup.
Liked this recipe? You might also like these sweet and savoury pahadi recipes: Jhangore Ki Kheer and Pahadi Tadka Raita.