Pahadi Cuisine: Chaisoon
Makes 3 to 4 servings
- 1/2 cup black split urad dal
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 dry red chillies
- Dry roast the dal for few minutes till aroma arises and set aside.
- Once cool, grind the dry mixture. Add oil to a heavy-bottomed kadhai and when hot, temper with red chillies and whole peppercorns.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, chilli, turmeric and salt with 2 tablespoons water and fry for a minute. Add the powdered dal, mix well and then add 1 to 1.5 cups water.
- Cook on medium to low flame stirring occasionally until the dal thickens for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve hot on steamed rice and enjoy.
Liked this recipe? You might also like this pahadi snack Urad Dal Ke Pakode and typical pahadi sweet dish Jhangore Ki Kheer.