Pahadi Cuisine: Chaisoon
Makes 3 to 4 servings
- 1/2 cup black split urad dal
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 dry red chillies
- Dry roast the dal for few minutes till aroma arises and set aside.
- Once cool, grind the dry mixture. Add oil to a heavy-bottomed kadhai and when hot, temper with red chillies and whole peppercorns.
- Add the ground coriander, cumin, chilli, turmeric and salt with 2 tablespoons water and fry for a minute. Add the powdered dal, mix well and then add 1 to 1.5 cups water.
- Cook on medium to low flame stirring occasionally until the dal thickens for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Once cooked, serve hot on steamed rice and enjoy.