This Whole Grain Pancake Mix Will Save You So Much Time
A stack of healthy wholewheat and oats pancakes topped with fresh fruit, nuts, honey or preserves is a fantastic breakfast idea and a real treat.
We have a Sunday morning tradition of healthy whole grain pancakes for breakfast. And, that’s something we all, right from my toddler to my 70-year-old mom look forward to. The only way this has been possible is because of this handy pancake mix adapted from a recipe by Texanerin Baking.
I simply make a big round of pancake mix and refrigerate it for a few months. I then just have to take out some of the mix to whip up quick, healthy and delicious pancakes.
Ingredients For The Mix:
- 5 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 cups instant or rolled oats
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda
Directions To Prepare The Pancake Mix:
- Put the oats in a food processor for a few seconds till chopped.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and then add the canola oil. Mix well.
- You can store the mix in the refrigerator for up to 3 months or store at room temperature for up to two weeks.
Ingredients For The Pancakes:
To prepare the pancakes for 4 to 5 people (Halve the quantities for fewer servings)
- 2 cups of pancake mix
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of milk + 1 cup buttermilk or 2 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
Directions To Prepare The Pancakes:
- Mix everything together. I find it very easy to mix and pour the batter directly from the blender but mixing by hand will do, too.
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat.
- You can skip any oil or butter and drop a spoonful of the batter straight on the pan. Else, put a small spoon of oil for the initial pancake.
- Cook the pancakes for a few minutes on each side.
- The end result will be fluffy healthy whole grain pancakes.
- Top with fresh fruit and nuts, peanut butter, a drizzle of honey, or a dollop of cream and your favourite preserve.
This tried-and-tested recipe will save you a ton of time. You can also double the pancake mix recipe if you want!
Check out more delicious recipes here.