Pahadi Cuisine: Gahat Ka Parantha
- 1 cup horse gram (gahat)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger grated
- Few chopped curry leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Clean & soak the lentils for 4 hours.
- Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles so that the lentils cook completely.
- Drain the cooked lentils & grind into a paste.
- Now mix salt, turmeric & red chilli powder with the paste & mix well. Add chopped green chillies, grated ginger & curry leaves. Keep aside the stuffing.
- Now with 1 cup of wheat flour, add a little salt, remaining turmeric & red chilli powder.
- Make normal chapati dough. Take a small portion of dough & make a patty. Stuff some prepared lentil mixture & seal nicely.
- Make a thick roti by rolling with a light hand.
- Heat a skillet & roast the chapati on low flame so that it cooks thoroughly. Apply some oil/ghee.
- Enjoy with any side dish or simply with bhang/til ki chutney.
Gahat ka paratha is a popular pahadi winter breakfast. Pahadi people usually have this with fresh homemade butter and some jaggery. Read more recipes here.