Pahadi Cuisine: Kafuli
Makes 3 to 4 servings
- 2 bunches spinach (palak)
- ½ bunch of fenugreek leaves (methi)
- 4 to 5 green chillies
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped ginger & garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- A pinch of asafoetida (heeng)
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Wash palak & methi, roughly chop & boil in little water along with green chillies. Make a paste using a blender or mash with a fork.
- Heat oil in a pan & add finely chopped ginger & garlic. When it turns golden brown, add cumin seeds & asafoetida. Then add the mashed greens, turmeric powder, coriander powder & salt.
- Cover & let cook for 8 to 10 minutes on low flame until the gravy thickens. If required, add more water.
- Transfer to a serving bowl & pour ghee on top.
- Serve hot with rice, barnyard millet (jhangora) or chapatti.